Redressal of Investor Grievances

Investors can approach the Exchange at the Investors Grievance Department for the redressal of their grievance/s against the registered Trading Member of the Exchange. Exchange has a mechanism of resolving disputes by co-ordinating with the member and the complainant.

Any investor/ clients who has any complaint can lodge/register a complaint with the Exchange in the prescribed “Client Complaint form (CCF)”or through online by clicking on the link provided below or by sending their complaint through email:

Register E-complaint

On receipt of complaint , Exchange initially tries to resolve the complaint by following up with the member and the complainant.. All complaints which do not get resolved within fifteen days from the date of lodging the complaints with Exchange or cases where parties are aggrieved by the resolution worked out would be referred to IGRC.

For filing any complaints/grievances against Member of the Exchange, investors may mail to

Need Assistance?

Please contact

022-6649 4070
022-6649 4151

Form (CCF)